Sunday, March 27, 2016

Hinds Live at the Bowery Ballroom, NYC 3/9/16


I remember when I first heard Hinds. I think it was "San Diego" and I knew there was something special there. I love listening to a band and not really knowing much about them, but getting a really strong image of them just based on a few introductory tracks. With Hinds the image was so clear. Just through their tunes you can pick up the raw energy the band produces. It's authentic, it's real, it's special.

Hinds played a record release show in NYC prior to this date and all the reviews I read and pictures I saw made me kick myself for not jumping on the bus and heading the 5 hour trip down to be a part of it all. I guess record release "show" is the wrong title... maybe record release "party" is better suiting as that is what it was from what I saw. Fan karaoke, special guest musicians, complete madness!

Well when I saw Hinds were hitting the states on the second half of their Leave Me Alone World Tour I jumped on tickets.


There are two types of bands. There are bands that make records, good records, and sound really great on them but are a bit of a disappointment in their live performance, and there are bands who are the opposite. Some bands make good records but are fantastic live performers. Well, and then there is Hinds. So I guess there are three types of bands.

Hinds manage to record heartfelt songs that encompass raw emotion, and authenticity, but also manage to put on an incredible performance. Like I mentioned before, it really is more of a party at a Hinds show. It's overly clear that these ladies are having the time of their lives on that stage. It bursts through in wild rock outs, laughter, gut wrenching vocals, and at times, a coordinated guitar line with sequence dance moves.

Throughout the performance Carlotta Cosials and Ana Perrote who share guitar and vocal duties interact and speak to the audience. They do it in a way though that doesn't interrupt the forward momentum of the performance. Everything that this band does is wonderful and their attitudes are contagious. They are humble, excited, engaging, entertaining, and always involving.


After running through a set of favorites like "Bamboo," "Garden," and San Diego" the ladies returned to the stage to perform one of my favorite tracks, the instrumental "Solar Gap," and closed with the energetic and wild "Davey Crockett" which the crowd reacted to by storming the stage to dance, sings, and lose themselves in the world of Hinds. Fun, loose, real, positive, heartfelt, all things rad.

Viva Hinds!

I think the rest of the tour is sold out so if you missed out then you really missed out!


High points: Hinds "Shark" t-shirt. Bumping Ana with a door and then later apologizing and having a quick convo. I posted this on twitter and got a tweet from Ana. <3




*Photos taken by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment