Tuesday, August 23, 2016

American Football "I've Been So Lost For So Long" Track Review


I never thought I would be able to do this, write a review for American Football, without going back to their self-titled record, but here I am. The self-titled record released back in September of '99 on Polyvinyl has been a staple of my musical influence and a record that has kept a steady rotation on my record player and in my car. It's beautiful, real, vulnerable, and one of the first records I bought as a newcomer to punk, early emo, and hardcore. I am proud to say I have turned many of my friends on to this band with over-excitement.

Now here we are, on the brink of a new record simply titled American Football like the last, and we have our first single. Like I mentioned, I never thought I would be doing this for a new song or record from American Football, and honestly that was ok. It's like some movies that are better left alone, no remakes, no comebacks. It's one of those things where their first record is held so high in so many people's eyes that can a new record compete? But maybe competition isn't what it's about. It's not what should be focused on. Yes, the first record is perfect, but times change, people grow, styles differ, and that will never change the fact that that record is amazing, but it shouldn't hurt the new record at all. It's American Football releasing an American Football record, and it should be looked at as such... Wow, ok sorry for the rant.

So here we are with the first single, "I've Been So Lost For So Long" and it is really nice. On the first few listens I could do nothing but smile. There's great guitar tones and single note patterns with shaky drums and a few nice time signatures and changes. Mike Kinsella is an amazing lyricist and vocalist. I have always been in love with his style and it's still on point. As far as the lyrical content goes, it hits home for me, even as far as the song title goes. It's only recently that I've really figured out who I am as an individual and what I want, so lines like "If you find me, could you please remind me, why I should wake up tomorrow" strike a cord in me. I like this a lot. I don't want to assume the rest of the record will follow suit, but I know either way, it will be incredible.

Stream "I've Been So Lost For So Long" now on Pitchfork.
Pre-order the new record now at Polyvinyl.

Some upcoming shows:
Oct 29 - Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre
Jan 28 - New York, NY @ Terminal 5
Feb 11 - London, UK @ O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
Feb 25 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Ace Hotel Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment