Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Fucko "Demo" Review




Fucko recorded this demo back in 2014, so it's a bit old, but they are releasing a full length early this year on Black Numbers and it will feature re-recorded versions of these three songs. The band is straight out of Boston and features siblings Sarah and Jacob Desmarais and newly added drummer Derek Desharnais of Sneeze-fame. 

Fucko is great grunge-pop, alt-whatever. Shit just rules.

"Buzz" is my favorite song I think. I always do this. I'll say which song is my favorite and then I take it back like two songs later, so whatever. It rules. Great riffs right off the bat and then the guitar fades to some light feedback as Sarah sings the verse. Then it kicks back in so good. I love the recording. It's dirty but clear. The cymbals have that rawness to them but without being way too fucking harsh and overpowering. There's this sweet guitar lead part towards the end of the song where everything stops except this single note part and then the song rolls on until it kicks back in with the chorus part. A little pause and some feedback. Yes!

"Shitty City" is a solid 90's pop rock slayer. The guitar is so sweet in this one. Sarah's vocals kill me too. So nice! That bass as well. A nice solid crunch to it, and it stands out among the other instruments which I really appreciate. Dig the little into part too. "You are perfect."

Look, I'm going to do it again. "Kind Of Mean It," might be my jam. Shit, I need to stop doing that. I won't though. Whatever, this song rules, and I don't kind of mean it, I really do mean it. See what I did there? Yup. This one is really intricate. The drum fills are so fast and smooth. The riffs too. When Sara sings "I could fall in love," I get the feels. Makes me start thinking, you know. Thinking about stuff. Anyways, this is the one. I'm going to day it. My favorite track. There, last words.

Stream the demo on bandcamp.
Get the full length Dealing With The Weird when it comes out on Black Numbers.
Go see them live!


No comments:

Post a Comment