Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Hinds "Leave Me Alone" Record Review


UPDATE*** I got this piece published on the Queen Mob's Teahouse site. Go check it out over there. It's a little condensed and has some videos and song links to accompany it! Or read my drawn out version below!

______________________________________________________________________________

So I hope this doesn't read as weird as it sounds out loud, but I had a dream last night that I was hanging out with Hinds, and it was awesome! So I woke up and knew I had to write this. Plus this is my favorite band right now and I'm totally in love with them.

Leave Me Alone is the debut record for this Spanish quartet formerly known as Deers. It's being released by Lucky Number.

The record starts off with "Garden," which is  a great way to introduce the band and the record. It's fuzzy, warm, and so lovely. It's kind of dreamy and both Carlotta and Ana's voice compliment the vibe and the song so much, as they do in every song on this record. There is this really nice little riff during the verse parts and then the drums kick in with this sweet cymbal play during the chorus. I would love to go dancing, by the way!

"Fat Calmed Kiddos" has this great 60's vibe to it. It's really warm and smooth. I love the production of this album. It has that raw garage value to it, but it's clean and warm. The chorus kicks in and the song picks up. It's still 60's but now we are at like a beach party and everyone is digging so hard. The vocals overlap and harmonize so well, and the drums have a great fuzz to them, and listening in headphones I can hear one guitar in one ear during that surfy part and it's so fuzzed up and awesome.

"Warts" is one of my favorite tracks on the record. I love the guitar and the vocals during the beginning part. They follow that similar groove. And the guitar and bass in the background are so good. I really can't say anything besides "this is so good" and "i dig this" for pretty much all of these songs. Sorry if I get repetitive. Oh, and that "ba-da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-ba" part. Oh man!

For some reason when I listen to "Easy" I picture myself driving. I hate driving, but imagining driving listening to this song makes it seem ok. I love at the end when the drums lay on for a few seconds and they have that echo on them.

"Castigadas En El Granero" is all about the musicianship. These women are so flipping talented. My friend and I always say, in regards to music and playing tunes, that less is more. These gals really know how to nail that idea home. The vocals in this too. I love the back and forth and when they overlap eachother and then come together in harmony. I think it's Carlotta too that gets that bit of a growly scream towards the end. Dig that for sure!

"Solar Gap" is a perfect title for this song. I get a real spacey vibe from this song. It's a nice chill out jam. Sitting outside, it's dark, you have some great company, maybe a drink, maybe it's a date, it's super easy to talk to each other, you lock eyes, there's a moment, you feel it, c'mon, you know. Yeah that's this song.

"Chili Town" is so good. I love that you can really hear their accents in this song. I love that. This is a nice chill down jam too. Really dreamy and hazy. I don't have much to say other than this is a solid jam for sure. Perfect.

"Bamboo" is one of the best songs on the record and it's a bit of a downer but still a great listen. The vocals again are so great on this track. That back and forth between Carlotta and Ana is perfect always. The bass is really great in this song too. It's really solid and steady and filling. I think I hear acoustic guitar at the end too and you can hear the slides and the little imperfections and it's great.

"San Diego" may have been the first song I heard off the record and it remains one of my favorites. Everything about this one rules. The vocals are blown out and when these ladies are giving it their all they really kill it. The fuzzy noodling on the guitar and grungy chords are so good. The vocals are my favorite in this song.

"And I Will Send Your Flowers Back" is more of a heartfelt song. More great vocal work with the single guitar and thumping of the kick drum for the beginning. Then the addition of the bass is so nice. Production is key in this one. The vocals get a little fuzzy and blown out and it adds to the feeling of the song so much. Another one of my favorites.

"I'll Be Your Man" is something I can picture hearing at a party where someone starts playing and then everyone joins in. Don't ask why. "I'll be your man." Really I will. I would love to see Hinds play this one live in a small intimate setting.

The record closes with "Walking Home" which brings us back to the surfy tropical vibe. This song is also the most dynamic on the record. There is a lot going on without being too much. This song also wraps up the entire album as far as feelings go. It' pretty vulnerable and completely fucking honest. I respect the shit out of these ladies. This band rules so much and it's so honest in their approach. From production, musicianship, to vocals and lyrics.

Hinds is playing a record release show tomorrow (1/6/16) in Brooklyn. Let's go!!
They are also setting off on a major tour later this month! Go support the hell out of them. They deserve it all!

Stream the whole record here: http://www.npr.org/2015/12/30/461281114/first-listen-hinds-leave-me-alone?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=2057





ps. This took me so long to write. I spelled so much shit wrong. Nothing to do with the review but I thought it was funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment