Friday, January 8, 2016

Raw Blow "Slow Choke" Review


With the recent news of the re-issue of this tape onto wax I figured it would only be right to write about this beast by Boston's powerhouse, Raw Blow. The band is made up of members of other local heroes Luau, Now Denial, and Furnace.

The tape which was first released by Social Cancer is now being pressed to wax by Tor Johnson Records.

The release starts off with the 90's inspired title track, "Slow Choke." The vocals really give me a Nirvana vibe and the song in general has a heavy post rock vibe. This may be my favorite track on the album. I love that riff at the beginning and how it comes back in later on in the song, and that little single note solo thing going on. Real nice.

"Buzzards" kicks in really heavy and reminiscent of Furnace, but with singing which I think rules. This song turns up the rocking and the post-rock vibes are strong here.

"Most Days" is similar to "Buzzards" but I get this weird post-pop-punk vibe in the beginning. It's weird. I can't help but think of a harder, heavier, less shitty New Found Glory. Maybe that doesn't make sense. I'm just giving it to you as I see it, man. The drumming kills me towards the end. There's this constant thumping with that sporadic guitar strumming and it's a cool contrast to the lyrics, "Most days go by so slow."

"All Kinds Of Garbage" is by far the heaviest song on the album, and it kicks so much ass. This one brings me back to the old days. Basement shows, sweating ass, screaming at the top of your lungs. This one is really chaotic too, but it always stays so concise in its mayhem.

The album closes with "Don't Try" which brings the album full circle as this song is similar in style to the opening track. There are these great "whooah" parts. This is the shortest song on the release too and it feels quick but nails it and just makes me want to rock it all a few more times.

Stream / buy / download the album on their bandcamp here.
Make sure you check out the Tor Johnson store and get the 7" bundle with a sweet new T-shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment